Armed stand-off: Arrested man sectioned under mental health act

Armed stand-off: Arrested man sectioned under mental health act Photos by Tom Fish

A man who was arrested on Sunday after an armed stand off lasting three days has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

About 80 residents in Northolt were reportedly evacuated from their homes as a huge police operation involving armed officers and negotiators took place.

There had been fears over dangerious and potentially “hazardous items” inside a house in Wood End Lane.

A 46-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after a raid by specialist officers from the Territorial Support Group.

The situation began on Friday morning and ended on Sunday evening. Up until that point police had resisted going into the property due to due to concerns for his safety.

A cordon of 200 metre radius was put into place. This has been removed but work is still ongoing, with police still examining the crime scene. They said this will take “some time”.

Photos above and below were captured by Brunel journalist Tom Fish during the operation.

siege CAR2

siege2

siege1

Like this story? Get free email newsletters via the form below

Free email newsletter
Sign up for free email newsletters direct to your inbox

The arrested man has been bailed to return to Acton Police Station at a date in mid-December whilst a mental health assessment is completed.

The Metropolitan Police Service said in a statement: “At approximately 20:10hrs on Sunday, 23 October specialist officers from the Territorial Support Group forced entry to the address and the man, aged 46, was detained inside the property.

“He was been arrested on suspicion of cultivation of cannabis; affray and offences under the explosives act and was taken to a west London police station for questioning before being detained under the Mental Health Act.

“The TSG were supported by colleagues from the London Fire Brigade due to the presence of petrol.

“A search was completed at address to ensure that the area is safe to allow local residents to start to return home. The local authority then contacted the residents who were re-housed to inform them it was safe to return home.

“Police would like to reiterate their thanks to the local community for their support throughout the operation.

“There was a huge amount of disruption to local residents; we are grateful for cooperation we ask for their continued patience as we finish the work at the scene.”

Residents were put up in temporary accommodation during the operation, which was aided by the Fire Brigade, Ambulance Service and council.

Chief Superintendent Paul Martin, in charge of policing in Ealing, said he was pleased it ended without anyone being harmed.

He said: “Our key priority throughout this was to get the man out of the address safely as we had growing concerns about his well-being and believed him to be in crisis.

“After attempts to negotiate over a number of days did not work we used specialist officers to work out how we could gain entry to the address as safely as we could.”

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Free email newsletter

Sign up for free email newsletters direct to your inbox

hih

Find us on...

 Facebook

Twitter

 

Go to top

This website uses 'cookies' to give you the best, most relevant experience. Using this website means you are Ok with this. Click close to accept and continue.