Harefield United latest: Storm Brian day loss but Hares through in the cup

Reports from Harefield United chairman Gary South.

Woodson Park 1 Harefield United 0

On Saturday October 21 Harefield visited Wodson Park, a leisure centre in Ware, for a football match that seemed to take place in the very centre of Storm Brian. If the storm were named after the legendary Mr. Clough then he would have detested the style of play witnessed by those present, with the ball spending the majority of the time in the air or out of play.

Hares manager Jason Shaw made necessary changes to the side that drew with Codicote in midweek, with Egham loanee Craig Tomkin unavailable Perry Dicker started up front, Lee Clarke returned at centre back for the absent Cristian Barrett and Tash Jordan back from suspension in for the missing Seldyn Grant. The first incident to produce a flicker of interest from the wind-lashed two sets of supporters came after ten minutes when Harefield were awarded a corner, ably taken by Elliott Dobbs but the ball was cleared and returned to its nest in the low clouds were it spent most of the match.

After twenty minutes a slip by Clark allowed a Wodson forward through but a Sean Mangan tackle halted that attack, Wodson were given a free kick which was again cleared by captain Mangan. At half time the statistics were - Shots, Wodson Park 2 Harefield 0. None on target.

The second half was livelier, if only because the wind had increased and more head tennis was played. On fifty minutes substitute Harry McCorkell replaced the impressive midfielder Paul Underwood who was struggling with an injury. Hares keeper Jacob Ballheimer tipped one Wodson shot over the bar but with fifteen minutes remaining a Wodson free kick from wide was converted and one goal behind United mustered their efforts to no avail. Jordan had both a shot and header hit the crossbar, he also headed across goal only for Dicker to head against the bar.

With six minutes remaining Shaw played his last roll of the dice, replacing son Sam with Adam Wills and bringing on striker Lenny Farhall for Dicker but it was to no avail and it finished one nil to the home team.

Harefield   Ballheimer, Dobbs, Green, Clark, Underwood, Mangan (capt), Jordan, Baldwin, Dicker, S. Shaw, Roberts. Subs McCorkell, A. Willis, Farhall and Hills (GK), Goode-Keeley unused.

Middlesex Premier Cup - Harefield United 2 Enfield Borough 1

On Tuesday 25 October high flying Enfield Borough visited Preston Park for the first time in their two year history for a  Middlesex Premier Cup tie. Shaw made few changes to the side that lost to Wodson Park, Jordon Goode-Keeley came into midfield for Paul Underwood and the returning Craig Tomkin was accommodated up front alongside Perry Dicker, with Tash Jordan dropping into left midfield for the absent John Roberts and the Hares started with a 4-4-1-1 formation.

The Hares took the lead after sixteen minutes by Jordan and ten minutes before half time Boro’ equalised after a throw in from the left. On sixty one minutes Hares’ man of the match put the home side ahead again, five minutes later Adam Wills replaced number ten Sam Shaw who had a tight calf muscle and with nine minutes remaining in an attempt to preserve the lead manager Jason Shaw replaced forward Dicker with defender Harry McCorkell. United to their credit didn’t sit back and ran out comfortable winners, through to the next round.

Harefield. Ballheimer, Dobbs, Green, Goode-Keeley, Clark, Mangan (capt), Jordan (man of the match), Baldwin, Tomkin, S. Shaw, Dicker Subs A. Willis, McCorkell and Underwood (unused).



Like this story? Get free email newsletters via the form below

Rate this item
(0 votes)


Find us on...




Go to top

This website uses 'cookies' to give you the best, most relevant experience. Using this website means you are Ok with this. Click close to accept and continue.